Knowledge and Skills:
· Ability, willingness and sensitivity to work with a diverse, low-income population.
· Maturity, honesty, dependability, initiative and follow-through.
· Ability to read and communicate in English sufficiently to follow directions and communicate with supervisor, coworkers and residents.
· Ability and willingness to work tactfully under pressure; cope with stress.
· Problem-solving ability.
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
· Ability to perform medium to heavy work involving sitting, standing, walking, lifting up to 75 pounds and climbing ladders and stairs.
· Ability to use a variety of hand and power tools necessary to perform mechanical, carpentry, electrical, plumbing and other building repairs and maintenance work.
· Ability to operate a variety of equipment including mechanic tools, carpenter tools, electrical tools, plumbing tools, shovels, rakes, etc.
· Ability to move objects, occasionally requiring exertion of considerable force.
· Ability to differentiate shades of color in performing electrical maintenance, painting and other work.
· Ability to coordinate eyes, hands and fingers in performing maintenance tasks.
· Ability to drive motor vehicles, including trucks.
· Visual acuity necessary to inspect buildings and review work orders.
· Hearing acuity sufficient to use telephone and communicate with residents and staff.
· Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide.
Judgment and Reasoning Ability:
· Ability to judge situations where supervisor’s involvement is needed.
· Ability to apply common sense understanding to semi-repetitive tasks.
Language and Communication Ability:
· Ability to comprehend and correctly use maintenance logs, work orders, timesheets, etc.
· Ability to comprehend resident handbook and employee manuals.
· Ability to communicate effectively with coworkers and staff at all levels, residents, both verbally and in writing.
· Ability to adapt to changes in policy, methods, operations, etc. as they apply to property management operations and activities.
· Ability to work in an office environment and in and outside a variety of residential buildings.
· Ability to work under hot and cold conditions.
· Ability to work under conditions of moderate noise.
· One year of residential maintenance or related building experience.
· Ability to lift 75 pounds and climb ladders.
· General understanding and working application of plumbing, electrical and carpentry skills.
· Ability to obtain High-rise Fire Safety Certificate within 6 months.
· Valid California driver’s license.
· Knowledge of Cal/OSHA safety requirements.
· Second language ability.