Custodian - 990 Polk Street (Mon, 8am-4:30pm and Tues, Wed, Thurs, & Sun, 8am-2:30pm)
The custodian is responsible for the cleaning and housekeeping duties at designated TNDC sites.
- Maintain the general cleanliness of the building interior and exterior and adhere to the cleaning schedule for all the properties assigned.
- Sweep and mop floors.
- Maintain trash removal systems including rotation of garbage receptacles and recycling.
- Clean and vacuum hallways, common areas, sidewalks and individual units as necessary.
- Attend required TNDC meetings.
- Follow TNDC safety policies and procedures at all times.
- Wet, dust and clean windows.
- “Bag & Tag” former resident belongings in vacant units.
- Identify and report any problems in regards to maintenance, health, safety or security of the property to the General Manager.
- Follow a schedule of preventative maintenance and perform additional cleaning and maintenance duties as needed.
- Notify the General Manager or Maintenance Lead of any needed supplies or equipment.
- Assist building maintenance staff with light maintenance projects.
- Patch and paint walls as assigned.
- Respond to building emergencies on after-hours on-call schedule.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Knowledge and skills:
- Ability, willingness and sensitivity to work with a diverse, low-income population.
- Sound judgment and good assessment skills.
- Maturity, honesty, dependability, initiative and follow-through.
- Ability and willingness to follow directions.
- Ability and willingness to respond tactfully under pressure; cope under stress.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to perform medium to heavy work involving sitting, standing, walking, lifting up to 75 pounds and climbing ladders and stairs.
- Ability to use a variety of hand and power tools and equipment necessary to perform janitorial work.
- Ability to operate a variety of cleaning equipment.
- Ability to move objects, occasionally requiring exertion of considerable force.
- Ability to coordinate eyes, hands and fingers in performing janitorial tasks.
- Visual acuity necessary to perform and inspect work and review work orders.
- Hearing acuity sufficient to use telephone and communicate with other staff.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide.
Judgment and Reasoning Ability:
- Ability to judge situations where supervisor's involvement is needed.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to repetitive tasks.
Language and Communication Ability:
- Ability to comprehend and correctly use logs, work orders, timesheets, etc.
- Ability to comprehend resident handbook and employee manuals.
- Ability to communicate effectively with coworkers and staff at all levels, residents, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to adapt to changes in policy, methods, operations, etc. as they apply to property management operations and activities.
- Ability to work in an office environment and in and outside a variety of residential buildings.
- Ability to work under hot and cold conditions.
- Ability to work under conditions of moderate noise.
- Ability to lift 75 pounds.
- Knowledge of custodial practices and procedures including sanitation and universal precautions.
- One year of janitorial experience.
- Second language capacity.